Thursday, June 1, 2017

Excitement in the air with Combat

   Today started out on a very high note. We had a theater combat workshop with two amazing instructors Claire and Alexandra. We started out with running in a circle and then stretches. Then the fun began we started with slapping. They brought us through the motions of action and reaction. After we were finished slapping we switched to punching. We got to put on a little skit for everyone else. Then we started shoving that was quite fun. We also learned how to block a punch and slap. Once we were done blocking we learned how to fake strangle each other. Then we got to make another skit. Matt and I were partners for the skit. Matt was team Edward and I was team Jacob. In the end of the skit I killed Matt over the argument. Once the combat workshop was over we came back to the hotel and had some lunch.
   We finished lunch at 12:30  then we went to Highgate Cemetery. There were all sorts of different gravestones and tombs. My favorite was the Otway family tomb it was very well placed in the cemetery. The railings on the edge were meant to represent cannons and cannon balls. We also saw Egyptian avenue which was a series of family tombs in the hillside.
   Once the tour was over I went and had supper with friends we went to TCR bar. It was taking quite a while for our food to come out and we asked about it. Our food was sitting in the lift so long that it was cold. After we ate we went to Matilda. It was a amazing performance I liked how adults dressed in cloths that looked like the child actors to look like children.

3 comments:

  1. I had an awesome time at stage combat. It reminded me of Dr. Q sharing with the theater group some stage combat mishaps where an actor improvised a few moves and caused some major damage including a broken nose and a cancelled show. That's why it's so important actors take these stage combat workshops to make sure they are practicing safe moves. Even watching them from angles in which the punches were obviously not making contact, their reactions were so good I still believed it anyway. It definitely shows that the response is almost more important than the move itself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also loved the stage combat workshop! I thought it was hilarious that you and Matt decided to be team Edward and Jacob for your staged fight. I can't believe how much work fake fighting is, though! I think I might still be sore from all the punches and slaps we threw. I thought it was fascinating that our instructors could make it look so believable even though we knew they were obviously not really hurting each other! Highgate cemetery was definitely a highlight and I liked the Ottway family tomb as well. I liked all the graves that had occupational symbols on them! I think it's so interesting that a gravestone can say something about an individual without even needing words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use to be a theater kid, but I was extremely nervous doing the combat training. I was even more nervous when they had us perform our combat skits in front of everyone, that was a twist. My combat partner and I had fun with it, and I personally saw the excitement radiate from everyone.

    ReplyDelete