Thursday, June 1, 2017

Stage Combat, Matilda, and George Michael

It's so sad that this is my last blog post!  I've had such an amazing time on this trip; however, I think I'm ready for home.  As Prince would say, "Parties weren't meant to last".  All good things must come to an end.

First thing on the agenda for today was a stage combat workshop.  This was a little out of my comfort zone but I had fun!  I used to be involved in theatre and had backed away from it for awhile, so this workshop made me very happy!  Was I any good at it?  Probably not.

Then we went on a tour of the Highgate cemetery.  This is actually a very popular tourit attraction in London.  Sounds weird at first but once you're actually in there, its sculptures and final resting places are beautiful.  Plus, tons of famous people are buried here.  The sculptures here show how the decorative trends have changed throughout time, especially during the Victorian times.  They would change sculpture styles like we change fashion trends.  There are influences from every time period and era of the world.  One of the most beautiful styles there that shows how Victorian took pride in their works was a sculpture of a lion on their tombstone.  This lion was made for a menagerist, or zoo keeper, to show their pride in their work and love for their lion named Nero.  Also, George Michael is buried here, but his grave is unfortunately not marked.  While being a fan, I respected his final wishes.

On the way back to the hotel, we went to a bus stop that was not far from George Michael's house in Highgate.  This made my little heart flutter!  I then proceeded to listen to "Faith" while waiting for the bus.  RIP George Michael!

Finally, we saw Matilda!!!  Wow!  This show is amazing!  Just everything about it.  They had laser beams, I've never seen a show with laser beams!  These kids have so much talent, it's unbelievable!  Also, the actor playing the head mistress, was phenomenal!  This was the show I was most looking forward to on this trip because I loved the movie growing up and I was not disappointed!  I think I love the play more than the movie!

Now for my sappy goodbye: This trip has been so incredible.  I have made so many memories and some wonderful friends.  I love this city and am so sad to leave.  I will return one day because I want to see my wild hedgehogs.

Thank you for reading my posts!

2 comments:

  1. Cassandra, I agree with you. I am ready to go home as well! I am missing my family and cats a lot and cannot wait to see them Sunday!
    I was also incredibly out of my comfort zone at the combat workshop! I have never even come close to acting in theatre or anything, so it was cool to learn how they accomplish violent acts like slapping and choking without actually doing any damage. I had more fun as the lesson went on, I hope you did too!
    I thought it was very interesting that people used to go have tea next to their relative's grave site. I never even thought about that until our guide mentioned it.
    Matilda was an amazing production, I have never read the book but I watched the movie many times. It was a great throwback to my childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cassandra! I really enjoyed watching all performances at the combat workshop and learning a few tricks of the trade along the way. Who knew a little diversion and displacement are all that is needed to create convincing effects! I have acted and done a bit of stage combat before, Alexandra and Claire's high energy explanations and demonstrations made the experience memorable and fun (even after I twisted my ankle)!

    In Highgate Cemetery, I was really impressed with all of the changing styles and fads in headstones and monuments. In America, it seems like they all stay pretty much the same style over time, but our guide mentioned that during Highgate's prime years, the style of headstone changed every year, much like fashion does for us! I am afraid I don't know much about George Michael though; could you tell me a bit more about him?

    ReplyDelete