Saturday, June 3, 2017

London Eye, Oh My!

Friday was a bright sunny day in London that brought about many adventures. The day began with a visit to the British Library. Expecting to visit a typical library, I was very surprised when I saw what was inside. The British Library contains old manuscripts and historical items dating back centuries before our time. These historical artifacts are housed in the “Treasures Gallery,” and the name is very suiting. We weren’t allowed to take any pictures, but it was wonderful just to see pieces such as old biblical texts, a display on the Magna Carta, and even an exhibit on The Beatles.
After the British Library, we grabbed a quick lunch on our way to our next stop, the London Eye. The hot tourist attraction we were to see sits on the bank of the Thames River, and it was hard to miss. Although, I have been on the London Eye before, I was excited to use it again to gain a bird’s eye view of the city. My second experience was just as rewarding as the first as London looked beautiful from above. We were also fortunate as a group to get a capsule to ourselves. We all enjoyed the air-conditioning within and even did a mini photo-shoot, getting pictures with one another before we leave London in a couple of days.


Our day was not over after the London Eye, as a few of us went to the Florence Nightingale Museum. Nightingale, the founder of modern-day nursing, played a large role in reforming health care in London and war. During the Victorian era, little was known about sanitation and hygiene; Nightingale offered insight on how to improve these components of the health care system. It’s crazy to think that it was only a couple of centuries ago that fundamental disease and infection precautions, such as hand washing and sterilization of hospitals were discovered. The trip to the museum made me even more excited to be pursuing a future career in healthcare!

To end our day, we were able to attend one more London show titled Kinky Boots. I honestly wasn’t sure what to expect, but I was not disappointed after leaving the show. The story line was unique as the musical told the tale of a man inheriting a men’s shoe company after his father’s death and eventually turning it into a factory for drag queens' boots. The music was fantastic and the dancing was superb. I think it may have been one of my favorite shows I have seen this trip. If you get the chance to see Kinky Boots, I highly recommend it!


It was a great day, but I’m sad that our days in London are numbered. This trip has truly been one to remember. 

5 comments:

  1. I was surprised about the british museum as well the building was massive! The Beatles exhibit was my favorite part. The view from the London eye was amazing looking out over the Thames River was great. Kinky Boots was a great last show I really enjoyed the music as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you enjoy the Florence Nightingale museum? I was interested in going but ended up doing something else instead.
    Kinky Boots was one of my favorite shows too! I loved the dancing as well, I was really impressed with how well the actors could dance in heels, I can barely walk in heels so I was amazed with how the drag queens did stunts and danced in six inch heels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily! I also really enjoyed the Florence Nightingale Museum. It's chronological set up really helped me see the issues for women in Victorian society, and how Florence fought for a change in the reputation of nursing from that of drunken flooziness to the professional, compassionate nursing demeanor we see today. The special exhibit in the rear of the museum also piqued my interest. It contained a dramatization of Florence's life (I will have to find that and finish the film later...) as well as writing desk with the poems and retellings of Florence's life through the eyes of London youth as part of a special project the museum underwent in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too was pleasantly surprised with the British Library! I was not expecting the incredible exhibit that was saw. My personal favorite part would have to be either the Magna Carta, or the Beowulf manuscript! It sound like you had a lot of fun at the Florence Nightingale Museum, I'm sure you're very glad you went! As for Kinky Boots, I'm in the same boat as you! I was a little unsure about the whole thing when it first started, but ended up loving it! I was definitely a little surprised by the drag queens though! Ive never seen any, in real life or movies/shows. Have you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going on the London Eye was a great way to end the trip! I am glad we were all able to be in one pod together! The view from the London Eye is amazing! The 4D Experience was just as cool!
    I think Kinky Boots is my favorite from the eight shows we witnessed while in London.

    ReplyDelete