Friday, June 2, 2017

Time as it Dwindles.

Look out world! Because today a majority of the group learned how to fight. Worry not, no true violent physical contact was made. Did I have you bamboozled? Remember, we are on a trip involving literature and theatre education. 'Twas but stage combat we practiced to create illusions of violent acts. Post breakfast, we headed to our workshop hosted by the company Independent Drama. Unfortunately it took a while to get fighting because of an accidental double-booking. Still, we managed to find a suitable space in which to practice fake punches, slaps, choke-holds, and the like. Our instructors Alexandra and Claire were a delightful lot to learn stage combat skills from. They possessed an immense amount of wisdom and experience. I admit that at first blush I thought they might actually be slapping and punching each other. I partnered with my pal Tayler and we created two scenes posing as two tussling sibling rivals. My largest take-away from the workshop is as follows: characterization and intention are key to creating a realistic, exciting stage fight. I was happy to learn hand-to-hand combat because I possess some sword-fighting education as it is. However, there is always more to perfect and learn. In all, it was a rather sweaty morning, but immensely enjoyable nonetheless.
Ready to learn some stage combat ft. our instructors Alexandra & Claire.

Me giving Tayler a good smack for refusing to allow me the privilege of borrowing her shoes.



























After grabbing a mozzarella ciabatta panini from Patisserie Valerie, I found myself on a bus with the large group heading to Highgate Cemetery. Back in the early 1800s, London had a population of about one million people. The population increased in years following reaching about 6 million around the 1830s. Previously, graveyards and burial grounds were crammed in small spaces between shops, houses, and taverns. The increase in population also meant an increase in deaths. Thus, the desperate need for private cemeteries arose. Built in 1839,  Highgate was one of seven private cemeteries statued by Parliament. Contrary to popular belief, those who lived in the Victorian Era led colorful lives full of amusement. Although many appear worn and dreary today, gravestones and tombs would have been made with white stone including black and red script. A trip back in time would show the magnificent gardens surrounding graves within the cemetery. These gardens experienced neglect following the first World War allowing dense trees and vines to sprout. Walking through the graveyard, one may notice the many different types of gravestones. Changes in gravestone architecture were equivalent to changes in clothing style, quite trendy and popular. Many graves also tell the onlooker about the life of the deceased, often times via symbols of occupation. Following our guided tour, some friends and I took a stroll through the East cemetery stumbling upon the Graves of Karl Marx and Doulgas Adams. Today, a mere thirty burials are allowed each year.

An example of the diverse gravestone styles present (Gothic, Celtic, and Egyptian Obelisk).

An example of occupational symbol: The grave of a Menagerist named George Wombwell. 

Karl Marx's counter-intuitively extravagant grave. 




















The day came to a close after we saw "Matilda" at Cambridge Theatre. It was fantastic! I am unaware if you have any prior knowledge of the story from the Ronald Dahl book or the movie, but I most definitely did, increasing my excitement tenfold. This musical was written by Dennis Kelly. The staging, singing, choreography, and acting were stellar. It is amazing what tiny children are capable of accomplishing (I wish I was as good an actor, dancer, and singer as many of those youngsters). An interesting fact we learned about Matilda is that she often expresses her love for Charles Dickens because his stories reflect the lives of abused children, or children experiencing great hardship.

The stage for Matilda. 
Following these happenings, I sit here clacking on my keyboard in exhaustion. I hesitantly admit, I am a bit sore from our workshop. I am both dismayed and pleased by the thought of returning home as our time in London dwindles. A sense of normalcy has been established after these few weeks, so it feels strange to consider the little time remaining.

3 comments:

  1. You and Tayler were so good at the stage combat, at one point Karissa and I thought you actually had hit each other while you were practicing! I can't believe how sore I was from it the next day.

    I also really enjoyed "Matilda", although seeing children already that talented makes me question what I'm doing with my own life. I certainly couldn't (and still can't) sing or dance like that when I was their age!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shayna,
    I also enjoyed the combat workshop. It was definitely out of my comfort zone, but it will be fun to share my experience with family and friends when I get back home. I commend you and Tayler on your well-executed sibling performance. Hopefully, you can use the new skills we learned in a future theatre performance.
    I also thought the Highgate cemetery tour was very interesting. I was intrigued by how much thought was put in to the construction of grave stones during the Victorian era based on religion and wealth. It's crazy to think how much history is buried within Highgate!
    Matilda was a treat to see! It reminded me of how much I enjoyed watching the movie and reading the novel when I was younger. I am still surprised at how talented the children were, and I thought their performances were superb!
    Thanks for the great recap of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wish I could have seen you in the workshop, it sounds like it was pretty spectacular. I also really enjoyed Matilda, although I was somewhat surprised to see how little her telekinesis played a role in the play itself. Those kids were just absolutely spectacular, I wish I had half of their talent!

    ReplyDelete