Monday, May 15, 2017

A Day of Firsts!

Hello everyone! My name is Alissa and I just finished my sophomore year of college at St. Scholastica! I'm working on a degree in communications and I've been involved in two plays with the CSS theatre (which prompted my interest in this study abroad program). I've always been interested in traveling, but I've never really had the impetus to leave the country before.

Today was my first official experience outside of the United States! I set foot on foreign soil at around 9:00 am London time after getting absolutely no sleep on the 7 hour flight from Philadelphia to Heathrow. Luckily, the adrenaline from being in a new and interesting situation kept me going through passport security and customs (I got my first stamp on my brand new passport!). Fortunately, I also had excellent travel partners to keep me going and help with the anxiety of airplane travel without my mom by my side.

Little did I know that massive, bustling airports would be the least of my worries. One of the first things we did once everyone from our group arrived in London was ride the tube from the airport to our hotel. Realistically, the tube shouldn't be a very stress-inducing experience, yet somehow the fast-paced energy and crammed environment made for some anxiety on my part. Traversing the sidewalks of London from the Goodge Street station to the Jesmond Hotel in our big group had a similar effect. Perhaps it was the size of our group (23 individuals in total), but it seemed to feel like I was always in the way of something (whether that be someone walking, or a fast-moving vehicle of some sort).
Despite the stress, we made it to our beautiful hotel around 4:00 pm and assimilated to the rooms we'll be living in for the next three weeks. My room came equipped with three adorably small beds for each of the three of us staying in it.

After getting situated, we went on a brief walk around the neighborhood and ended up at the Marlborough Arms pub. Experiencing my first British pub was among the least stressful firsts for today, despite the business. Delicious food, interesting decor, and great company made for an excellent end to an excellent day!

Now, after being awake for 32 hours straight, I'm off to sleep in my quaint little princess bed so I can rest up for tomorrow's next adventure!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alissa! I am also glad I had wonderful travel buddies. One of them even let me sleep on their shoulder on the plane ride, which was lovely. I felt the same sort of anxiety and stress as you when first taking the tube and walking the streets. I did notice, however, that once we had all dropped our luggage off at the hotel the group moved at a much faster pace. Although today is only our second day, I feel relatively adjusted to the tube already. What did you get for dinner at the pub? What are your first impressions of London now that your first day is complete?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alissa!
    Just the journey to London was an adventure, wasn't it?! Having to get through the security checkpoint, board our flight to London in 10 minutes of arriving at the airport, and trying to figure out our way around Heathrow was a lot of work. But it was all well worth it. I was surprised at how very different each pub is from another when it comes to space and their menus. However, it's all been a great experience so far and I can't wait to continue!

    ReplyDelete