Saturday, May 27, 2017

Sweet Treats, Bike Rides, and Tours

The trip has been an amazing experience so far, and Friday was no exception. Our early morning began with a tour at Westminster Abbey. Before stepping into the church, I had only identified it for hosting the famous royal wedding of William and Kate, but it is rich with history as it is the burial site for past English rulers, war officers, writers, and scientists. I was excited to see many of the grave markers as I had learned about some of these famous people and their contributions to literature and science this past year in school. These included Charles Dickens and Sir Isaac Newton, and I could not help but think of Newton’s Laws of Physics after seeing his name!


After our visit of Westminster Abbey ended, we decided to take a bike ride around Hyde Park. Friday was the perfect day for a ride, as the sun was brightly shining and there was a nice cool breeze as we biked around. There was much activity in the park as there were many paddle boarders on the lake and sunbathers on the grass. During a break from our bike ride, we grabbed a sweet treat of a waffle with ice cream and Nutella. It was delicious! We also saw a swan and her adorable fuzzy babies! To end our ride, we biked by Buckingham Palace. The British flag was raised which signified that the Queen was in residence. We tried to catch any glimpse of her, even though she was probably far within the quarters.

Our busy day ended with a Bloody London Tour with Declan. It was a chilling experience to hear the tales of murder, mystery, and darkness that happened within the city. Declan’s story-telling skills are marvelous, and I walked away with shivers down my spine.


Friday was a long day, but every moment of busy activity was worth it! 

1 comment:

  1. Emily,
    Hyde Park is quite lovely! A few members of the group and I decided to adventure a bit more there today. We also took a short bike ride because the weather was nearly perfect. I don't know what your experience with the bikes was, but in my opinion, the bikes were a bit clunky and difficult to maneuver. Navigating through traffic gave me a few scares as well, but after about ten minutes or so, I figured out the rules and norms of bicycling in the park.
    After biking, we decided to plant ourselves under the shade of a tree facing the Serpentine. The view was beautiful. I read a bit of a book I purchased from the Imperial War Museum, and took a short nap in the sun. Some members of the group toyed with the idea of renting a paddle board, but decided against shelling out the pounds.
    Don't even get me started on the nutella waffles. They were positively divine!
    Safe to say you had an eventful day!
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete