Thursday, May 18, 2017

And on The Fourth Day.

  Hello my name is Caleb Greseth I'm going to be a junior next year at Scholastica. I'm from a little town called Wanamingo. I've been involved in theater for 5 years now and I'm a psychology major. My favorite play that I have preformed in is Les Miserable. I'm hoping to get a chance to go to it while we are here in London. 

   We started our day off with a tour of the Globe Theatre. 


We learned of the vast history of the building and the divisions of class throughout the seating. We also learned that it is technically the third Globe Theatre due to fires and rebuilding. 


  After the guided tour we went through the museum and learned more of the theatre's history. One very interesting thing I learned about in the museum was they rarely, if ever, washed the costumes. We walked by the original sight of the Globe Theatre afterwards. Then we went to Borough Market there were lots of food options there. The fudge was particularly good! Once we were finished eating it was time to go to the Tate Museum of modern art. 

   There were a lot of strange but interesting art works on display. Going from a ball hanging from the ceiling to giant potato looking rocks. The strangest thing I saw at the museum was made out of human hair and car bumpers.After the museum a group of friends and I went to a pub and had some supper. 

   Then we went to the performance of The Women in Black. There were a few good jump scares and very spooky parts! The play had three actors it made it quite interesting seeing all of the parts acted out. Once the play was over we made our way back to our hotel. All safe and sound on our fourth night in London.

3 comments:

  1. The showing of "The Woman in Black" was a delightful fright, and it started a discussion for some in our group, myself included, on how the play compared to the 2012 film (everyone likes the play more). The discussion reminded me of how productions like to make creative directions to lure the audience into the story, both on the stage and the silver screen. What I liked best about the play was how it stayed faithful to the original novel by Susan Hill, yet was presented by portraying the main protagonist Mr. Kips working with an actor to retell the events after years later. What creative direction would you give if you wrote the screenplay? I would write it in a similar fashion to "The Neverending Story" with one of Mr. Kips' stepchildren finding his finished manuscript and reading its contents - slash - observing the events as an invisible spectator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based off your comment on how they rarely washed the costumes, I have to admit I was surprised when our tour guide said that people thought that having a layer of dirt would keep them from getting sick. Nowadays I feel like people have completely the opposite opinion.
    I think the spookiest part about The Woman in Black was the fact that the woman was only seen in the play, never on the playbill or during the bows. It just added to the spooky feel of the show and I really appreciated that they put that much effort into keeping the aura of fear/mystery about her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the mystery the direactor gave the woman in black. While she didn't bow, she was given a spooky applause. I'm curious about how the actress who plays the woman in black feels about not getting her name or face recognized but is a famous character in a popular play.

      Delete