Thursday, May 25, 2017

Dickens and the New Mousetrap

Today was another great day in London!  The first stop today was visiting the Charles Dickens Museum (or as Matilda fans would know him as, Darles Chickens).  This museum is not very big.  It is historical because this house was where Dickens wrote Oliver Twist, which was the novel that the Lit students read in class.  It is also the only house in London still standing where Dickens lived.

Afterwards, I went with another person to the Camden Market for lunch and browsing.  This has to be one of my favorite places in London.  There is incredible food here and a wide selection.  There's vegan food, Columbian, Thai, you name it, they have it!  The clothes here are also amazing.  There's a style for everybody.  I also found out that Amy Winehouse had a house here and is remembered throughout the community.  This is such a unique place in London and is quite lovely.

Finally, we all went to a show called The Play That Goes Wrong.  This play was very humorous.  I had to describe it, I would describe it as a comical version of Mousetrap.  It's a lot of slapstick and ridiculous humor but still a great show!

5 comments:

  1. I agree with your comparison about The Play That Goes Wrong being like a comical version the The Mousetrap! All throughout the performance I was reminded of The Mousetrap, the plots were very similar. I'm glad that you enjoyed the play but I myself wasn't a huge fan. There were some points that I found entertaining but I'm not a huge fan of slapstick comedy so it definitely wasn't my favorite play we've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Camden market was a very enjoyable place to visit I agree! It had so many wonderful options for food for people of every diet! It had shops and everything, very fun! Mouse trap has probably been my favorite play on the itinerary so far as well! I thought it was a bit dragging until the end of the first act, but after that I was on the edge of my seat! Fantastic job! Comparing that to the most recent play that we saw, "The Play That Goes Wrong" I do find them similar in concepts. The humor, clearly, is very different. You're right to classify it as slapstick humor. Ivan's although I did laugh, I found that most of the jokes we repeated again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cassandra,
    The Charles Dickens Museum sounds delightful! We are so lucky that this historic site has survived multiple wars and bombing raids that have ravaged so many other pieces of British culture. I briefly remember seeing the outside of the museum on one of my walks exploring Bloomsbury; I might have to go and check it out myself if I get the chance (even if it has paid admission)! I also loved Camden Market and agree that the food choices and shopping opportunities are so fun to peruse. "The Play That Goes Wrong" was enjoyable for me as well. Having done my fair share of theatre, I have definitely had performances (and nightmares about them) where things have not gone according to plan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cassandra,
    I also enjoyed the Dickens museum. Even though it was quite small in size, it contained a large amount of content within. It was quite an experience to see the house where "Oliver Twist" was written. Your description of Camden Market makes it sound like a marvelous and fun place. I'm hoping to also go there within our last week as well. Do you have any recommendations for food to try? It sounds like there are too many delicious options to choose from. I also thought "The Play That Goes Wrong" was comical. After seeing that and "The Mouse Trap," I would have to agree that "The Play That Goes Wrong" is a comical version of "The Mouse Trap."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you happen to catch that one of the actors in "The Play That Goes Wrong" referenced Mousetrap? It was too quick for me to catch what he said about it, but apparently even the playwright was aware of the similarity.

    ReplyDelete