Wednesday, May 31, 2017

The End of An Excursion

Wednesday marked the last day of our little excursion outside of London. We spent it viewing Anne Hathaway’s cottage and gardens. Anne Hathaway was married to William Shakespeare. The cottage was the home that she grew up in, meaning Shakespeare never lived there. But they did visit after they were married. 

The gardens offered much to see and explore, including a giant jenga game that a few of us set up and played until our tour was called.



We explored the cottage, read the information available, and then wandered the grounds. A few of us traipsed through the forest just a little ways away from the cottage. I’m not really a fan of forests and such, too many bugs for my liking, but it was a pretty walk. They also had cute signs every so often, teaching us about hedgehogs. 

  


After a quick stroll through the gift shop, we ate lunch at an adorable café across the road before boarding our coach bus once more. The ride was a leisurely two hours. Most students slept, but a few of us played games on phones to keep us occupied.

After we returned to London, the time was our own. My friends and I decided to see if we could snag tickets to see Wicked later that evening, so we took the tube to Leicester Square and checked out the discount ticket booth. To our delight, they did have some inexpensive tickets available, so we bought them for the 7:30 pm showing. That left us with three hours to spend and we went to Camden Market. I bought an oil painting (I’ve been collecting them from each country I go to where I can find them) and we ate a quick dinner from the food stalls there. It was a great market, I love the energy at those places.

The time passed quickly and we made our way to the theatre. Now, on a complete side note, I am a huge Hamilton fan. For anyone who is unaware, Hamilton is a musical about one of the US’s founding fathers, Alexander Hamilton written by Lin-Manuel Miranda. A theatre nearby the Wicked theatre is going to have Hamilton there in November and is currently under construction. The coverings on the building have the characters’ silhouettes. It was spectacular. 


Then we saw Wicked. I was enthralled. I’d never seen it before. The voices of the cast, with the stage and everything was amazing. One of my favorite performances (yes, I do say that often. But I do mean it at the time I say it, so it counts).






2 comments:

  1. Allie,
    I would have to agree that Wednesday was truly an eventful day. The Anne Hathaway cottage was such an interesting site to visit; it not only gave insightful information on Anne Hathaway and her family but what life would have been like during that time period. I especially enjoyed our game of jenga during our free time there. (I still think you and I beat Maggie).
    I'm glad that we also got to see Wicked. I had heard such good things about the show, and it has always been on my bucket list to see. It was definitely worth the time and money!
    Thanks for sharing about our Wednesday adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you were able to get tickets to Wicked such short notice! I went to see that show with Matt and Rayne last weekend and it was phenomenal! (Some of us even thought some of the performers were better than the original Broadway cast! 🙊) Some of us had also gone to Camden market earlier in the trip and that is a must see so I'm glad you could experience that as well! I found it amazing that you could wander around that place for hours and still not see everything it has to offer! How cool that you've been collecting oil paintings from your travels - what a unique and interesting souvenir! Sounds like you had an amazing time this day. (If only Hamilton had opened six months earlier...I would have 100% gone to go see it with you!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete