Friday, May 26, 2017

Westminster Abby

It's Friday again! Another week in the books! This morning we were able to tour the Westminster Abby, and it was spectacular. Pictures could not be taken inside the Abby itself. I wondered why? My main reasons of why I believe that we cannot take pictures is because: 1) it is a place of holiness and is a grave sight, so it is out of respect. And 2) if there were pictures everywhere maybe less people would buy tickets to go in.
Either way, it was a beautiful place to visit. Would definitely recommend. Now my day is filled with relaxation since we have the entire day free. So my plans for the day is some blogging, sitting and enjoying food, and reading in the park later on! Then finishing the day with the Bloody Tour with Declan! Very exciting!!

3 comments:

  1. I definitely think the picture rule is because it is an ACTIVE church. Without that rule, it'd be harder to distinguish it as an active holy site rather than just another tourist location. It is considered disrespectful and sometimes entirely forbidden to take photographs during a mass or synagogue service. The Abbey does have days where photography is allowed but only for projects related to the church and it's cause. If you want photos for personal use, the Abbey sells them online!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your thought on the rule of no pictures with it being a grave site. It is a very sacred place in London and it is a house of respect. One of the best parts that I saw in the church was the tomb of Queen Elizabeth. It was a very moving part of the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel! Your two theories about why pictures are banned made me smile! They are two very different reasons and the contrast in them made for an entertaining read. I personally agree with Tayler and Caleb that it is probably out of respect for the church. As for your day of relaxation, I am very jealous! How was reading in the park? I would love to do that sometime before I leave!

    ReplyDelete