Sunday, May 28, 2017

The Magic of Museums

Here we are, the final week in London. I have to say I'm both excited and bittersweet to be here. I'm ready to go home, but also ready to go on a few final adventures. I'll be sad to leave London, but this trip has been so wonderful I know I'll be thinking about it for years to come.
One of my favorite things that I've done here is go to all the museums. I'm a big fan of museums and learning all about the things in them. One of my dream jobs would be to work as a museum curator so it's interesting to see how all of the objects are put together to create the exhibits in each museum.
This morning I went with DyAnna and Rachel to the Museum of Natural History.
It was chock full of information: from a room full of large mammals...
To rooms filled with dinosaurs...
To a really cool escalator, that took us through a globe...
To early human skeletons...
(The one on the left was the first adult Neanderthal skull ever to be discovered!)
To casts from people and animals that died in Pompeii...
(Also fun fact: the Japanese used to think that earthquakes were caused by a giant catfish that was hidden in the mud).
To birds...
And bugs...
It was a museum full of objects that spanned across time and the globe. We spent over two hours there and we barely scratched the surface of all the information contained there.
After this we went souvenir shopping and then to a lovely park that was near our hotel.
Now it's time to gear up for one final week of adventures before we finally head back to the states.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really going to miss all of these museums when we head back to the states, especially the fact that they're all free! It feels like just yesterday we were all just getting here and learning the lay of the land, and now we're on our last week here. I've really enjoyed hanging out with you these past few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meagan! I am super jealous that you got to see the aftermath of Pompeii! I missed that part when I went to the Museum of Natural History the first week! I will have to go back sometime this week if I can. I feel as though there is still so much to do but our trip is whooshing by, leaving our time scarce and valuable! Have you made it to all the museums you wanted to see yet?

    ReplyDelete