Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Adventures in Hyde Park and the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-TIme

We started today with a visit to the Museum of London, which tells the history of the city starting from pre-Roman times and working its way up to today.  It was fascinating to see how London developed from just a couple of hunter-gather settlements to the bustling metropolis we're currently visiting.  The museum also had the cauldron from the 2012 London Olympics on display, which was awesome to see up close.

After the museum, Tayler, Karissa, and I visited Hyde Park.  Plants are one of my favorite things, so I had a great time walking through and seeing which ones I recognized, and which ones we don't have in northern Minnesota.  Luckily for me, some of them had plaques that identified them (I'm also lucky that Tayler and Karissa are patient when I have to stop and geek out over a new plant).

We wrapped up the day by seeing The Curious Case of the Dog in the Night-Time at the Gielguld Theatre.  The show was absolutely breathtaking.  Its about a boy, Christopher, on the autism spectrum that sets out to investigate the murder of his neighbor's dog.  His investigation leads him on adventures way outside his comfort zone, and by the end, he decides that if he's managed all that, he can pretty much do anything.  I may have cried a bit.

Probably the best part of the show, however, occurred after the curtain call, when Christopher returned to the stage to explain how he had solved a math problem in a scene during the show.  He took us through a step-by-step solution, then disappeared from the stage as confetti rained down.  I've never seen math get so much applause in my life.
Gherkin the gnome (as I've been informed his name is) loved the show, too.

3 comments:

  1. Alex,
    I thought the museum had some interesting pieces in it. I'm not particularly excited by ancient history, but I did find stuff about medieval times to be intriguing. My favorite part of the museum was the garden walk. It was so unique and offered a beautiful place to take a rest.
    I also really enjoyed the play. It had the most unique set design, and the cast was brilliant. It was funny, heartfelt, and most importantly: genuine. I think it's my favorite play I've ever seen so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the when Christopher came back to explain the maths problem! It was definitely the best part!
    CONFETTI! 🎊🎊

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just recently visited Hyde Park, and it was magical! I've always been found of flowers, not as in depth as you but I do enjoy seeing the different colors of all the flowers and plants. It was a very enjoyable walk in the park! As for the museum, although it was fascinating to learn about I agree with Matt when he said that it isn't my cup of tea but I did genuinely enjoy going! The play that night was fantastic!! I also agree that I loved that Christopher came back at the end and explained the problem! I really had hoped he would! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete