Sunday, May 21, 2017

The Simple Things In Life

My name is Keely Jackson. My age is twenty. My heart is that of a child - gleeful, passionate, loving, loyal, and it is always yearning for adventure. The account of my eventful day that I will soon pour forth is testimony to that fact. The story is one full of little plans and many results. So let’s begin:

Today is Saturday, the 20th of May, and it has been a doozy. I awoke this morning earlier than my non-morning self appreciated, but excited nonetheless. I quickly ate breakfast and then got dressed for the day after my belly was nice and full (priorities, am I right?). It was then that my friend Nejla and I departed, heading towards the nearest underground station. It was sunny and cloudless, a rarity so far in our trip, so we headed straight to Big Ben, where Nejla had been itching to take an artsy photo or two. The results? Voila!




After our phones nearly hit their storage capacity, we strolled towards Waterloo Station to catch the tube to a hidden gem in Paddington called Little Venice. As we ascended the stairs leading out from the underground, I felt as though I had been transported! The air was fresh and crisp, smelling of spring and budding trees. The houses were large white giants that squatted in rows like so many mountains. The tight, symmetrical stone living quarters of the city were nowhere to be seen and neither were the red double decker buses. We hadn't gone so far, but the feeling that was woven in the air was somehow different.



After a slow crawl through the pleasant neighborhood, we arrived at Little Venice. I will go no farther than to say that it was well named, for what a sight it was! Water, island, swans, boats, willow trees, curving paths along the bank… It was all a scene straight from a book! Now of course, such a scene deserves a picnic. So a picnic we had. A classic combination of Italian meats and French baguettes was had, in addition to pure fruit juice and chocolate cream filled donuts! The decision was come to between Nejla and I that a more romantic spot has yet to be found.





Nejla and I wound down our day by simply walking the streets of London: sitting here in Trafalgar Square, eating there at Icco the pizza place, and finally meeting up with our dear friend DyAnna to attempt to find the cheapest pub and fastest wifi. (We’ve got to post all these photos somewhere, right?)


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful blog and beautiful pictures!! Keely, you have such power in your words; I felt like I was present with you and Nejla even though we were separated by a few countries. I traveled to Amsterdam this weekend with Shayna, Alissa, Caleb, and Matt; our journey was quite the adventure! While there we took a canal cruise around Amsterdam, visited the Artis Zoo (totally recommend!), and visited the Anne Frank house along with many other museums! We figured out Amsterdam's system of tram cars, which worked like the Underground in London but was above ground, and we had our first experience with a hostel which was...interesting to say the least. Set in the charming town of Katvijk, our "Beachhostel" was not actually on a beach but instead was located above a night club. Unfortunately we were too tired from our adventures to partake, but we got quite the earful through our walls!

    P.S. That pizza looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keely,
    You are a fantastic writer! I thoroughly enjoyed reading this blog. It was eloquent and descriptive, I felt as though I had spent the day by your side. A fantastically artsy photograph at Big Ben, indeed! How interesting is it that you did not need to leave the city to feel as though you had? When I first experienced the heart of Hyde Park, I felt as though I had been transported to a location outside of the city, yet I hadn't been. My friends and I will have to try taking a trip to Little Venice as well! How was Trafalgar Square? Did you see anything noteworthy? I am curious as to if you were successful in finding a pub with quick wifi?
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete